2009-02-03

Well, goddamnit!

Well. I still am having a hell of a time getting my GRF exporter to cooperate.

For some reason, it works fine for models with less than 24 bones. However, models that have more than that (all of mine do) it screws up something with the vertex data, or maybe the bones, because suddenly, and irrationally, the bone groups dissociate and the neck will move when you bend the tail.

I'm at a loss here, as I've checked the algorithms a hundred times, checked and verified the DATA ITSELF, so that I know that the bones are correct, faces, everything is correct... checked the C++ code, which reads it EXACTLY as the file, so I know the C code works since it is general case... so, where is the error?

My guess is it lies inside of python somewhere.

Maybe a stupid screenshot will cheer me up:

Whoopee... old school poser models. yay.

Also, I have the fragment program and vertex program working fine. Tested, verified, fun to play with and easy to work with. I'll be much happier when I can GLSL this mess, although these programs are just about as fast as it can get, so not much reason to yet.

Blender is cooperating fine, I've had no problems from it, aside from this list of annoyances:
1. No bone weight keyframes available, I need to be able to save weights in vertex groups as a keyframe
2. No UV keyframes available, I need to be able to save UV layer keyframes
3. Actions are not tied to anything, and they are still difficult to use for making a movie, most people just use the 'one large action' to do it. Make actions work like actions, not scene animations. Make the NLA mean something, dammit.
4. No support for mesh keyframe animations that makes sense. Why can't I just IPO a list of keyframes, instead of making 1 ipo for each keyframe (which is hell without a script, by the way)
5. More materials. I need more than 16 materials. try 127? or 255?
6. Much improved curve support. I should be able to hook curve verticies ONTO anything, like armatures and objects and verticies, without having to use the vertex hook <-> empty <-> curve thing.

and so on.

Hopefully I can get this $@#*( problem solved. This isn't a specialized problem, it's general, so it works for any matrix-palette system, including the coveted iPhone, PS3, and the PC.

Peace folks,

-Z

No comments: