2009-04-22

Brawl models and dream

Man, I burned myself out yesterday trying to figure out textures.

As a result, I haven't slept well since I started this, I keep having crazy dreams, and I was able to remember most of this one:

Dream was odd.
I remember going through a 1st/3rd person shooter where there were unusual zombies, not like normal zombies but something more similar to crazy possessed demon people. I remember one room I got too where I kept getting killed, it was a large room, with a small cubby on one side of it and had a stairway at the back, but to the side of that stairway was a small windowed room with metal walls, and a sealed metal door where the special weapon I was supposed to get was. The entire look ot the scene was dark and grimy, like RE5, but better looking. The lighting was sometimes dynamic, but the walls dripped with rust and grime, as if there had been blood but it dried. The smell was bad too, though I think was was psychologically imposed via my imagination. So I ran pas this guy in a plaid shirt with a large broken pipe, who was some crazy lumberjack like dude, and past this other kid with the typical NY punk ass look who had a knife, got into the room, grabbed this special weapon, but when I did, those two turned into these much larger bug mutant monsters, walking with reversed legs from their back and having 4 spindly ones in front with gnashing teeth and large red eyes. Not particularly scary or anything, but they were really fast and had a sort of mantis mentality, if they got close to you, their legs snapped out and yanked you into their jaws for a kill bite. Not much you could do there, but this special weapon was a wired plasma arc discharger, think of it like a gun that can shoot chainsaws. It was very effective, but you had only milliseconds to get off two EXACT shots to kill these bugs before you had to exactly run upstairs and barricade the door, which saved, then you turned around and blasted more human zombies and some ceiling bugs.
Of course, sinec it took me enough tries to get past that room (There were lots more before it, somewhat like a Super Half-life or something) the dream took a different turn, and I noticed I was in a restaurant. I ran through hit the first time though, noticing that there were odd pictures on the walls, but after I had ran through it, I found a pool of survivors, who, weirdly enough, were all the buddies I knew from Eka's, even some of them I had never met in real life. That stuck me as odd, and apparently there was some sort of crazy furry convention or something going on and they just happened to congregate there. I talked to them for a moment or two, being slightly blood splattered and worn from intense combat. Two of the wanted to help, but they had no weapons, so I had them go get some while the safe room music queued. I went back to the restaurant and it clicked; Apparently, the wall pictures were of a toon-Kami, which immediately raised my mental threat level to max, at least until I saw Ted sitting at a table with two other people I knew. I went over and sat down, and we had some sort of funny conversation about the restaurant, it kinda looked like a Captain D's which was equally ironic. The information I gathered there wasn't too useful, but it was greatly entertaining.
After a few drinks, I went back to the convention, and it was, of course, empty, they didn't make it. There were much stronger bug monsters, some that could fly, and I said 'aw fuck it' and saved the game and went back to the restaurant to get some food. Needless to say, in that particular establishment that's not exactly how it works, but goddamnit I tried.

I can't seem to remember too much of it, I've had long strings of dreams lately that involve me missing my good friends a lot, mostly goathouse members and lots and lots of drinking involved. I conclude that I must be severely depressed, and I can't blame me for that.
I guess you can't really be friends until you've seen the fires of hell as a team, eh?


Update on the format converter; Still trying to sort out textures, but guess what? Blender doesn't like the 394 material MetalGearRex model because it can only handle 16! So f***.

Here's a stupid screenshot with MetaRidely, King K. Rool, Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Link.

Sortof.



For those of you that care, I'm still getting the hang of the transforms down; They don't seem as bad as figuring out how to find which textures and which blending modes to use. Obviously it's a snap to manually assign textures, but this should do most of the job for us, right? I do seem to have the polygon data down perfectly, I am not trying to get any particular model, just reverse engineering their format so I can improve my own. It's bizzare, there is no good reason I can think of why this file needs to be this complex. You can do the same thing or better with a GRF/BRF setup, or hell, any other normal linear file. Honestly the only complex thing WOULD be the materials, and that's what I'm having trouble with...

Also as a side note, blender's bone system is SHIT, because you cannot have zero length bones or infinite length bones. Come to think of it, hardware only uses matrices, so what the hell DOES a bone have length for?!?! This is very very stupid, as the convention makes no sense for any real application. Obviously you can display bones as octohedrons in reverse child->parent mode. This is trivial to do and would eliminate this horrid 'length' idea. Also, why the fuck is bone space so bizzare? What ever happened to consistent in +X forward, +Y left, +Z up? I really miss that idea, since it's correct for the hardware and avoids any confusion if it's all the same.

I don't think I'll ever stop being amazed that the more you know about something, the more flaws you can find.

! Oh shit, an icecream truck! GTG save it!

1 comment:

Brien said...

I vote for dreams getting posts separate from graphics/programming posts.