2009-10-29

xcode, mingl, xgfx

Continuing my great adventure to construct the engine I need;
Yes Unity is now free. Who cares; What we need is a blender Synthesis program so I can use all my high def animations and levels.

xcore is moving along nicely, most data structure and memory alignment things work perfectly. Still some issues with float hacks.

mingl is quickly being put together, the abstraction of all mesh data into the VBO/IBO/VAO paradigm makes using OpenGL very very nice. In fact, learning a mingl type system is far easier than learning OpenGL fixed pipeline crap.

Vertex Buffer Objects:

They don't help unless you have OpenGL 1.5 or higher. Go figure.
And instancing doesn't really help unless you have a very specialized, small geometry item.
Here's 32,768 cubes:



If you stare too long, you begin to see a n-dimensional triangulation or worse, a shadow of a n-dimensional object.

I'll press on until I can have dancing lizard demo # 4. Or in this case, it might be a higher res female model.

Peace out.
-Z

No comments: