2008-11-05

Blender and Game Maker

So I got a GM bug again.

GM is quite fun to toy with, but WOW it can't do motion or collisions AT ALL. Anyways.
I have techniques to make it work, so I'm cool.

Also, I was thinking about it, and since GM can draw primitives like triangle strips, I figured I could make it load 3D or 2D Odin Sphere style models

So I did.


(cue more stupid goofy lizards monsters, but in 2D!)
Turns out, it works fantastically well, and, since I do all the sprite and modeling in Blender, I can reuse the work for just about anything. Plus, it's really easy and super fast to make animations in this setup. Unfortunately, Blender has a real problem that I'm going to complain about for along time. (Why the FUCK did they put a KEYFRAME ACTION editor when the fucking keyframes are stuck on the GLOBAL timeline?!? REGULAR actions are LOCAL timelines, so logically, KEYFRAME ACTIONS should FUCKING be on the FUCKING local TIMELINE!! GOD FUCKING DAMMNIT! ARRGHGH!!!!111!1!111!!)

But! It does work, and it looks way better than sprites when animated. I'll be fooling with this as a break, until I get more discrete space things to work.

If you like this idea, go try it out yourself, or IM me and I'll throw you the python script exporter I wrote for Blender. It's pretty nice to have.

-Z

No comments: